Broad Bean, Chorizo and Blue Cheese Risotto
A fusion of spicy Spanish chorizo and delicate Italian rice, this is a delightfully indulgent dish to share with friends.
- 2 pints of hot chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 shallots finely chopped
- 400g risotto rice (Arborio)
- 2 wine glasses of dry white wine or vermouth
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 150g of fresh or frozen broad beans
- 100g blue cheese such as gorgonzola crumbled or grated
- 125g Bath Pig chorizo thinly sliced
- Freshly grate parmesan to serve
Heat a frying pan and dry fry the chorizo for one minute until crisp. Drain on a kitchen towel and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a pan, add shallots and garlic and fry on low heat for 4 minutes. Add rice and stir for one minute before adding the wine or vermouth – keep stirring all the time. Once the wine has cooked into the rice, add a ladle of hot stock and turn the heat down to a simmer. Allow each ladle of stock to absorb before adding the next. This will take around 15 minutes – taste the rice to see if it is cooked. Carry on adding stock until the rice is soft.
When cooked, gently fold in the broad beans and chorizo – warm through and then take off the heat before adding the blue cheese. Stir, season and taste. Serve with grated parmesan.